CWIS - KLS Martin Resident Research Fellowship in Chest Wall Injury Outcomes
Resident Research Scholarship Overview
The Chest Wall Injury Society is pleased to offer a $25,000 Resident Research Scholarship supported by KLS Martin for research into the diagnosis or management of chest wall injury. The intent of the scholarship is to fund research that is related to the diagnosis or management of acute chest wall injury and has the potential for further funding sources.
The Scholarship is a 1-year award that is awarded at the Annual Chest Wall Injury Summit. The deadline for application submission is Wednesday, November 1, 2023.
The Research Committee will judge the applications on the basis of merit of the proposal, potential of the applicant for future contribution to the diagnosis and management of acute chest wall injury, and the applicant's mentor support and dedication to research. The top 3 proposals will be submitted to the Chest Wall Injury Society Executive Council for determination of the final winner.
- Applicants must be currently enrolled residents/registrars in good standing in any surgical discipline.
- Applicants must have an attending/consultant surgeon mentor who is a current member of the Chest Wall Injury Society in good standing and with demonstrated research interest in this field.
- The recipient will be expected to join the Chest Wall Injury Society upon notification, if he/she is not already a member.
- Only one application will be accepted per applicant.
- This proposal may also be submitted to other funding sources for support. Submission elsewhere will not affect the evaluation of this proposal; however, in the event that more than 1 award is offered, the investigator will be required to accept only 1 award.
- The scholarship year is July 1 - June 30.
- Finalists for the award are required to demonstrate appropriate IRB/IACUC application submission. Awardees are expected to have IRB/IACUC approval by June 1 of the year in which they receive the award. Failure to do so may constitute grounds for rescission of the grant.
- The award is made to the senior investigator's institution only.
- There are no indirect fees allowed with this award.
- The applicant will fill out the application cover sheet, submit a three-page summary of the proposal which includes a 1-page budget justification, and a letter of support from his/her mentor.
- The awardee must be present at the annual Chest Wall Injury Society Summit to accept the award, and must plan to attend the subsequent summit to present a progress report.
- Any publications related to this work will appropriately recognize the funding source as well as the Chest Wall Injury Society.
Please submit a recent, high-resolution picture of the applicant, as well as a copy of both the applicant and the sponsor's curriculum vitae with the application.
Previous awardees seeking an additional year of funding will be required to complete the same application submission process. Submissions on behalf of continuing projects are merit based and not guaranteed based on prior awards.
We are excited to bring this opportunity to our society members, and extend our sincere gratitude to our industry partners at KLS Martin for their generous support of our research mission.
2024 Award Timeline
Eligible applicants are required to have a CWIS member sponsor and complete an online application, including study design and budget details. The recipient will be expected to join the society upon notification, if he/she is not already a CWIS member.
The recipient will be asked to attend the 2024 CWISummit to accept the award and present a short synopsis of their expected project. Please see timeline below and contact information.
|Friday, September 1, 2023||Online system opens for application submission|
|Wednesday, November 1, 2023||Deadline for application submission|
|Monday, January 1, 2024||Applicants informed of decision|
|April 11 - 13, 2024||Winner announced at 2024 CWISummit in Charlotte, North Carolina, United States of America
Winner will present their project in 15-minute podium presentation.
Please submit questions online to firstname.lastname@example.org.